Having a great onboarding program is one of the best things you can do for your company. iCIMS reports that a strong onboarding program can reduce employee turnover from 44% to 14%, while improving new hire time-to-productivity by approximately ⅓. Talk about time and money saved!
One way to improve onboarding is to make the administrative portion of onboarding as simple as possible. Luckily it’s easy to do when you take employee onboarding paperwork online.
Digitizing documents like W-9s, NDAs, employee handbooks means you can eliminate things like double-handling of employee paperwork, manual data entry, and printing and scanning documents. New employees will get through the administrative stuff quickly and on to their work faster. HR professionals will be saved the headache of wrangling paperwork.
Onboarding Employees Online Using HelloSign
You have a couple of options when onboarding employees online with HelloSign.
- Initiate and complete employee onboarding paperwork using a HelloSign team plan
- Initiate and complete onboarding paperwork on your own site or application by integrating the HelloSign API
Both options provide a fast and easy onboarding experience for everyone involved. We’ll take a look at both options in depth below.
Keep in mind that HelloSign is totally customizable. Your dream onboarding workflow can be a reality.
Initiate and Complete Employee Onboarding Paperwork Using a HelloSign Team Plan
The most immediate way to begin onboarding online is by creating a HelloSign team account.
With this account, you (or your HR professionals) can create re-usable templates for onboarding documents (like W-9s, employee handbooks, and more), easily disperse information among team members, and begin sending new employee documents for signature immediately.
It’s super easy to get started. Simply sign-up for a team account and upload your first onboarding document. Format the document with special fields like “signature” and “text box.” Once formatted, your document is ready for your employee to view and complete.
Your new employee will receive the document via email and be prompted to sign online. They won’t be required to open a HelloSign account and can sign easily from their email account.
For repeatability, create templates for your frequently-used documents. Templates give you the power to format a document once and then re-use it again and again for future use. You can also share document templates with other team members and control permissions for templates.
Other benefits of using Hellosign.com for online employee onboarding:
- Real time activity notifications for documents. You’ll immediately know when an employee has opened, viewed, or signed a document. This gives you instant insight into when you need to step in to assist or follow-up on a document that’s slipped through the cracks.
- Automatic secure storage of completed documents. All documents are securely stored in your HelloSign account. A completed copy is also sent to signers. Team features like “cc”. It’s simple to keep everyone in the loop. Include “cc” email addresses so all relevant stakeholders are in the know at every step.
- Custom email messaging. Consistent employee messaging is key to effective communication. You’ll have the power to customize your document email messaging to make sure it’s on point with your company’s voice.
Initiate and Complete Employee Onboarding Paperwork on Your Site or Application by Integrating the HelloSign API
You can also embed the onboarding flow directly into your website, application, or workflow by integrating HelloSign’s API. This allows you to plug paperless onboarding flows right into your existing systems. For example, say you’d like your employees to complete their onboarding paperwork on your company’s employee portal. This is totally possible if you integrate the HelloSign API.
Other benefits of integrating an onboarding flow with the HelloSign API:
- Document automation features. Data entry is one of the most consuming part of paperwork. Make it faster and easier! You have the option to auto-fill information into the relevant fields, saving you the time expense of tedious data entry.
- Your new employees get an exceptional experience. First impressions matter! Start the working relationship on the right foot by providing new employees a delightful and hassle-free way to onboard to the company company.
- Workflows that are customized to your specific needs. The best thing about the API is that it’s incredibly customizable. You can create the exact look and feel of the onboarding flow of your dreams. Recruiting platform JobAdder is a great example of the power of customization. Read more here.
- Easy to setup and test. The HelloSign API was built for testing! If you’re technical, take a look at our documentation. No technical background? No problem! Here’s a great guide to getting started.
An API integration is also particularly appealing option for companies who employ a large volume of contract workers. Instacart is an excellent example of this. Integrating an embedded onboarding flow using HelloSign allowed them to scale.
Which online onboarding option is best for you?
Both options will provide a superior signing and storage process for your new employees. If you’re still unsure which fits best with your needs, here are a few things to consider:
Choose a HelloSign Team Plan if you:
- Hire at low volume
- Have a small HR team (or no HR team)
- Want to enjoy all the great benefits of HelloSign without technical intervention
Choose the HelloSign API if you:
- Hire high volumes of new employees
- Want an internal onboarding solution
- Want to integrate the onboarding flow into existing online systems
- Want to elevate the value of a platform or service that you provide
Try it out!